Maize ( Zea mays) also known as corn, field corn or Indian corn is one of the most extensively cultivated cereal crops on Earth. Maize, being popular as a food item, is enjoyed by people in various forms, like, whole corn, corn flour, cornstarch, corn gluten, corn syrup, cornmeal, corn oil, popcorn, cornflakes, etc.
It is rich source of complex carbohydrates, dietary fibers, vitamins , phytochemicals, minerals and small amount of protein and fat. Corn is rich source of vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin E, folic acid, vitamin B especially thiamin and niacin. Corn is a rich source of beta-carotene and has no cholesterol. Corn contains abundant minerals, like, phosphorous, along with magnesium, manganese, zinc, selenium, iron and copper are found in all varieties of corn.
- Nutritious and highly appetizing. Reduces stomach acidity.
- Prevents constipation and colorectal cancer. Reduce the chances of irritable bowel syndrome, risk of hemorrhoids and diarrhea.
- Increasing the flow of urine, detoxifying the kidneys and preventing the formation of stones along the urinary tract .
- Boosting memory, cognitive functions and nerve health.
- Prevention of neural-tube defects at birth.
- Prevent anemia.
- Improve bone strength.
- Helps maintain good skin and vision. Also soothe skin rashes and irritation.
- Reduce cholesterol absorption in body.
- Prevention of atherosclerosis and act as general scavenger of free radicals throughout the body.
- Control diabetes and hypertension.
- Boost immune system.
- Fight against diabetes and obesity.
- Reduce risk of various cardiovascular diseases.